Friday, January 20, 2017

It's Inauguration Day!

January 20, 2017

Yesterday, I told myself I wasn't going to watch the inauguration. Why? The amount of negativity surrounding this current political environment is overwhelming. So much hate has been spewed. So much disrespect has been spread. Not just by the people but also by candidates and citizens of other countries. I mean goodness gracious, you can't scroll through any social media platform without feeling like you've come through a battle zone.

This morning I had knots in my stomach. The thought of a new regime had become daunting. The changes that come with a shift in power are usually not small. I grew more anxious as the morning progressed. As I walked from my car to the front of the restaurant, a giant light bulb popped up over my head. Why on earth am I thinking like this? Yes, the government does control a lot, but they are not in control. They do not offer everlasting love and grace. They can't and haven't granted me salvation. Get it together woman! Your God is in control! And your God tells you not to fear anything. He is our refuge and strength, an ever-present hep in trouble. Therefore we will not fear. (Psalm 46:1-2) I prayed all the way to the front door.

My anxiety began to melt. I walked into the restaurant and immediately tuned in to CNN. Fear will not consume me. This president is not the first of his kind. He's number 45 to be exact. All the men who came before him all took the same oath. They all did what they thought was best for this country. Some did amazing jobs. Some were sub-par. Some died of pneumonia before even really taking office. We've survived each and every one of them. Why? Because God is our provider. He is our portion. (Psalm 73:26).

I've looked to God through this whole election. There's no reason for me to stop now that it's over and the reality is unfolding. I've looked to God to still my tongue when I heard others' haughty remarks. Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity. (Proverbs 21:23). I've looked to him when others inadvertently made me feel less than human. I heard and obeyed when I heard...Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God,with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. (Ephesians 4: 29-32)

I have many friends who upon reading this will shake their heads and mourn the loss of my sanity. It's those friends I urge to pick up the Bible. Read the Word and find God in this. Find God in everything because He is everything. Yes, you have to be rational and cognizant of what is happening around you.  I'm well aware of what possibilities are to come. But because I look to the Heavenly Father, I don't have to worry about them. I don't have to quarrel with my fellow man on a daily basis to make it through the next four years. I will have peace no matter what happens because I have Him. The Lord is my light and salvation - whom shall I fear? (Psalm 27:1) 

So the main point is this...I've watched every single inauguration festivity that was televised today (in between customers of course). This is history in making, and I can watch it and make it through life just fine. I don't look to the president of this country to save me or make me whole. I look to the Father, and will continue looking to the Father with great thanks. I will pray for wisdom and strength for this new regime. I will pray for peace for our people. 

Update:
I feel the need to explain that back in 2009 and 2013, I was one of those people throwing haughty remarks. I was young, I was immature, and I wasn't living by God's Word. It's truly amazing how dedicating yourself to God and living a godly life can remove the bitterness from your life. Looking back on old social media posts, I was so stressed out and full of unwarranted saltiness.  Of course, I thought I was hilarious, but honestly I was just mean. I'm throwing my hands up as far as I can today and thanking the Big Guy upstairs for putting a fire under me and creating a fervor for living a more peaceful and comforting life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gettin' Jiggy Wit It (Na na na na na nana)

May 24, 2018 Will Smith posted a video on Instagram the other day of him in the studio for the first time in 13 years. Granted, the video...